Catching up with Coronation Street

Posted by Saraline , Monday, April 5, 2010 11:15 PM

This blog entry contains spoilers from episodes that have recently aired in the UK (from September 25, 2009-April 6, 2010.) Canadian viewers, consider yourselves warned!

I'm a Canadian who loves Coronation Street. I watch episodes on the CBC website, but we're about nine months behind here. Awhile back, someone posted a link on the CBC Coronation Street forum to Geordie's blog. Geordie uploads episodes on his blog as they air in the UK.

I know that I'm not the only Canadian who has looked up characters on wikipedia and discovered spoilers. It may start out as something innocent, like looking up a character to find out their history and discovering a story line that happens in the future. But it doesn't stop there; with the new little tidbit of information that we've discovered, we start to become curious about what's going to happen to other characters so we look them up, too. Next thing we know, we're kicking ourselves in the shins for going on wikipedia in the first place and finding so many spoilers.

When I saw Geordie's blog, my curiosity got the better of me (I suppose that curiosity is a trait that I share with Norris Cole.) I started watching just a couple of episodes, just out of curiosity. Before I knew it I was all caught up with the UK episodes.

Now I'm watching Coronation Street on Canadian time and on UK time concurrently. A couple of weeks ago someone accidentally let a few spoilers slip on the Canadian forum, so I don't think that I'm the only one. Of course, when I'm watching the Canadian episodes, I already know what's going to happen to the characters, but I still like to see how they got from point A to point B. How did Peter and Leanne get back together? How did Jason and Tina get together and Molly and Kevin? The Molly and Kevin storyline was the biggest shock to me when I started watching UK episodes, next to Maria and Tony's relationship; in Canadian time, she was accusing him of being a murderer and trying to run him over with her car.

I also watch the Canadian episodes because I like to scan over the forum from time to time, and I also like to read Blanches Polish Hip, a Coronation Street blog written by a Canadian who also watches the CBC episodes.

For any Canadians reading this, it may interest you to know that UK viewers are not immune to spoilers; they do appear in gossip columns from time to time.

1 Response to "Catching up with Coronation Street"

Anonymous Says:

coronation street is for bored housewives who can't get laid.

Post a Comment